A second person in Italy has died from complications from the new coronavirus, Italian news agency ANSA said on Saturday 22-2-2020.

The death of a woman in the northern region of Lombardy follows that of a 78-year-old man who died on Friday. The new wave of cases in Italy’s northern regions has triggered shut-downs of shops, offices, and community centers. The 78-year old from the Veneto region who had tested positive for the virus died in hospital, where he had been admitted 10 days earlier for an unrelated health issue, Italy’s health minister said.
Adriano Trevisan was a retired bricklayer and one of two people with the disease in the region, while 15 other people were discovered to have caught the virus in Lombardy, which took immediate measures to isolate affected areas.

Trevisan, from the village of Vo’ Euganeo near Padua, had been diagnosed with the virus on an initial test, but the definitive results were still outstanding.

Since December, COVID-19 has killed more than 2,200 people in China, the epidemic’s epicenter. Elsewhere in the world, it has killed over a dozen people and spread across some 27 countries and territories.
A 67-year old from the same village as Trevisan has also tested positive. Veneto region head Luca Zaia said earlier Friday “a sanitary ring” would be created around Vo’ Euganeo, and all 3,300 inhabitants would be tested.

SHARE