By: Francesca Montillo, Lazy Italian Culinary Adventures
These sugary, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth cookies are easy to make!
1-1/2 cups whole hazelnuts
2 sticks butter (left at room temperature for several hours)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 cups powdered sugar for rolling & dusting
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Using a food processor, pulse hazelnuts until they are very finely ground, almost resembling breadcrumbs, but do not over pulse into a paste. Set aside.
2) Using a stand or handheld mixer, blend softened butter, salt, powdered sugar and vanilla until very well combined.
3) With the mixer on low, add the chopped hazelnuts and mix just until combined.
4) Slowly add the 2 cups of flour to the mixture until well blended.
5) Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, scoop cookies and roll between your hands.
6) Place rolled cookies on cookie sheets that have been lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Rotating the sheets halfway through baking.
7) Gently remove cookies from the cookie sheets and let cool just slightly. While still warm, gently roll cookies in the additional cups of powdered sugar.
If they break or crumble, allow cookies to cool for one more minute. (This step is done while the cookies are still warm so the sugar adheres better.) Plate and serve.