BON JOVI opened 2 Restaurants & allow People in Need to Eat for Free
While Jon Bon Jovi is very well known for his career in music, very few are familiar with the kind things he has done to make our world a better place.
In 2006, he founded The Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation which aims to support community efforts to break the cycle of poverty and homelessness. One of the most prominent deeds of the foundation is the opening of JBJ Soul Kitchen, the community restaurant where people in need can eat for free.
The first restaurant was opened in October 2011, in the Red Bank area, New Jersey. The second one opened its doors in 2016 near Toms River, an area that was greatly affected by Hurricane Sandy in 2012.
Both restaurants aim to fight food insecurity in a dignifying way without judgment. Both paying and in-need customers are welcome. There are no prices on the menu, but those who can afford a meal are encouraged to donate $20, and those who can’t offer any payment are encouraged to volunteer at the restaurant.
JBJ Soul Kitchen has already served over 105,893 meals. According to the restaurant’s website, 54% of those meals were paid for with donations and the rest 46% were earned by volunteering.
The restaurant works under the first-come-first-served principle, however, people who are struggling financially are given priority.
The restaurant menu consists of 3 courses inspired by local American cuisine. JBJ Soul Kitchen makes sure that their meals are both delicious and nutritious so their produce is organically grown in the restaurant’s garden.